Crocheted Bag with Lucet Cord, January 2018

This bag was inspired by one of the cords I made for my short Lucet demo at the 2018 Orlando Distaff Day. The yarn was spun and plyed at a demo I did for my weaving (and other fibery stuff) guild, the Weavers of Orlando (http://weaversoforlando.org/) (just celebrated our 75th anniversary). Some of the yarn was from Porkchop’s fleece (Romney blend) and the rest was bits and pieces of things to add color (probably mostly Corriedale). I liked the colorful cord, so decided it needed a bag. I also needed more yarn, as I didn’t have a lot of the colorful yarn or of the Porkchop brown by itself.

I had just spun 2 ounces of a Louet wool/mohair/bamboo blend, Rosewood colorway, that I had won at the guild’s holiday luncheon raffle (you put your tickets in the bag corresponding to an item you would like to win). I pulled it off in staple lengths and spun from the tip to blend the colors. I chain-plyed. It made a sturdy yarn (we’re not talking merino and kid mohair), and ended up being about the same “size” in general as the cord yarn.

rosewood fiber for crocheted bag on spindle

I decided to (1) use some of the basic Porkchop brown for the base of the bag, (2) use some of the more colorful demo yarn at the bottom of the straight part of the bag, (3) put all the Rosewood blend yarn in the middle, and (4) do the top and drawstring row with the remaining colorful demo yarn. I did not use a pattern—I decided to do this while watching the Orlando Magic lose yet another game (not their best season so far). I used a crochet hook I thought would make a sturdy fabric and started with 6 stitches using what I think is Emily Ocker’s method I learned from Elizabeth Zimmerman many moons ago. I did 2 single crochets in each stitch, and continued to increase (after a couple of rows I pulled up the starting end to close the hole). I mostly followed the sc in first stitch, 2 in next stitch around, increasing one additional sc before increasing for each row. My base is generally flat, and mostly circular, and I quit when I thought it would make a good base and I would be able to make a “tall enough” bag with the remaining yarn. If I ran out, I could always look thru my other short bits of demo and practice yarn. I didn’t mark the beginning of the round (too lazy to find the proper type of marker), my yarn was not perfectly consistent, and I was making the bag for fun…therefore, the base is not perfectly flat and not perfectly circular. The yarn is rustic, and so is the bag!

I crocheted around and around, changing yarns as I had “planned” until I decided it was time to put in the drawstring “holes” and finish it off. No, I did not count out the stitches around the circle and make the holes evenly distributed, I estimated. For each drawstring hole, I skipped a stitch and did 2 chains. For the next row, I did one sc in each ch2 space. I did a couple of additional rows, and stopped. I crocheted about half the bag the first night, did a little while riding in the car doing errands the next day, and finished it that night. (Front of bag with lucet, back of bag, to show color difference)

front of crocheted bag with lucet jan 2018

back of crocheted bag jan 2018

I threaded the cord thru the drawstring holes. I hadn’t made the cord any particular length, but it’s enough for the bag (about a yard, without weight on it; will be longer with things in the bag to weigh it down). I decided I will add a button to connect the beginning and end of the cord, and to the midpoint of the cord. That way I can pull on the buttons to open and close the bag. I need to see if I happen to have suitable buttons in my button stash (if only it was all in one place to make this easy), or if I will need to buy some. I hope to use some I already have, as that would keep with the goal of using “stash”….

closeup of lucet cord jan 2018

My completed bag is about 15” in circumference, and 10 inches tall from the base to the top of crocheted fabric.

What did I learn from this project: I can indeed create a bag that I like by “winging it”. It reminded me that fiber and yarn doesn’t have to be next-to-the-neck soft to be useful. I have a bag to demonstrate the use of lucet cord.

Idea for the future as a result of doing this project. For another bag I’m thinking I could make a sturdier base if I crochet 2 circles, sc them together and work the base from there. I could also embellish the bag with more cord (similar to icord embellishments).

Tags:

Comments are closed.